1. Cookies optimieren die Bereitstellung unserer Dienste. Mit der Nutzung unserer Dienste erklärst Du dich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies verwenden. Weitere Informationen
    Information ausblenden
  2. Willkommen im Forum von DIGITAL FERNSEHEN - dem führenden Portal für digitales Fernsehen, Medien und Entertainment. Wenn du hier neu bist, schau dich ruhig etwas um und melde dich an, um am Forengeschehen teilnehmen zu können.
    Information ausblenden

Subtitle issues

Dieses Thema im Forum "Terratec" wurde erstellt von Hodor, 16. September 2008.

1. Hodor

Hodor Junior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:
    Anzeige
    I've uploaded a small recording that contain DVB subtitles under:
    http://cid-463bf35149b4c07d.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Offentlig/Subtitle

There is two problems with THC.
    1. Showing the subtitles at all.
    2. Selecting auto subtitles should select danish, not none.

First problem:

In the recording there is two subtitles detected in THC:
    Danish
    Danish (Hearing impaired)

You can ignore the hearing impaired one in this recording since it's seems to be empty, but the other one have data that should be shown.

This is a screenshot from DVBviewer showing the subtitles working on the recording.

[​IMG]

Second problem:

In options, I've selected Danish as a prefered language. But selecting auto subtitles does not select the danish DVB subtitle

2. Hodor

Hodor Junior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:
    AW: Subtitle issues

Update:

The first problem might be because I'm using EVR. Have to confirm that.

The second problem is linked to the option 'Automatically show subtitles' in Audio/Video. Problem is that this option activate both DVB and teletext subtitles.

The settop boxes that the danish providers sell, always show all danish DVB subtitles by default (we never dub the movies). You then have the option to enable teletext subtitles if anyone have hearing disabilities.

Seperating the automatic subtitle into a DVB option and a teletext option makes sence. Perhaps a checkbox under the automatic option that reads 'Include teletext subtitles' would do the trick.

Do I make any sense? :confused:

3. Hodor

Hodor Junior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:

Confirmed. EVR break subtitles.

4. Friedo

Friedo Senior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:
    Technisches Equipment:
    Eye TV Sat

What exactly is your 2nd problem?

Do you see DVB and teletext subtitles at the same time?

5. Hodor

Hodor Junior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:

No.

My guess is, that in a country like Germany, where almost everything gets dubbed into german, both DVB and teletext subtitles are used only for the hearing impaired. So most germans will never use DVB or teletext subtitles.

Here in Denmark, and the rest of Scandinavia, the use of subtitles is very different than in Germany. Everyboby here will want to see the DVB subtitles, but never any teletext subtitles. Teletext subtitle is still for hearing impaired people, but DVB subtitles is used by everyone here.

Basicly I want to always see danish DVB subtitles, but never any teletext subtitles. That is not possible in THC.

MediaPortal offeres the following in subtitle settings. And it shows how it should automatically work here in Scandinavia:

[​IMG]

6. Friedo

Friedo Senior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:
    Technisches Equipment:
    Eye TV Sat

OK, now I understand your problem.

I will add this to our feature requesets.
    We can make the this an advanced option.
    e.g. "autoselection of teletext subtitles" on/off

7. Hodor

Hodor Junior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:

Thanks alot.

An advanced option is acceptable, as a start, since currently only a handfull of stations are using DVB subtitles. The rest still overlay the subtitles before sending the signal out (as they also do with analog sendings).

But this is changing fast as we in Scandinavia are approacing the deadline when they switch off the old analog transmitters.

Any idea on the timetable for subtitles to work in EVR?

I use the EVR for hardware decoding of h264 (DXVA) on the HD channels.

8. baldeagle

baldeagle Junior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:

The subtitles issue is indeed really confusing.

While you mention Scandinavia, my experience is that most Swedish channels do not offer the viewer a chance to cancel subtitles on the screen or to modify the language, and so whether you wish subtitles to be shown or cancelled via the options menu of your Cinergy USB adapter, there is nothing to be done. The same applies to your set-top-box.

In Norway, cancelling the subtitles altogether or choosing the language varies. If I remember right it works on the NRK channels but not for TV2, irrespective of which settings you choose in the options menu of your USB adapter. To double-check if you can modify subtitles at all, you can again try the appropriate menu on your set-top box. If it is greyed-out there, there is nothing to be done apparently on the Cinergy adapter either.

Just for reference, I use a Cinergy Diversity Adapter and alternatively a Grundig DTR 8720 MPEG-4 compatible set-top box

Zuletzt bearbeitet: 18. September 2008
  9. Hodor

Hodor Junior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:

So true. That's because most channels just send a digital version of the excact same analog signal they send out. That's why you can't remove the subtitles.

Those subtitles have nothing to do with DVB subtitles or teletext subtitles.

Then they switch to real digital transmissions, you often get AC3 audio and the ability to select multiple different DVB subtitles.

But currently 97% is just a digital mirror of the analog signal still.

The ability to only automatically turn on DVB subtitles, will give the same amount of subtitles as you are used to on the analog stations today. I don't think the wifes/girlfriends in Scandinavia will want their subtitles gone in the new episodes of sex and the city... or whatever they watch.

Teletext subtitles is a horrible crappy thing for people with hearing problems... no offence ment.

Zuletzt bearbeitet: 18. September 2008
  10. baldeagle

baldeagle Junior Member

Punkte für Erfolge:

Hodor,

Before I browsed through the posts in this thread I had never imagined subtitles could be such a complex issue. Thanks for your explanations.

I guess I will just have to put up with up to a third of the screen being messed up with subtitles when I just don't have any need for them (i.e. most of the time). I'll find some solace in the fact Chinese films, in the line of those shown by SVT during the Olympics, only made sense to me thanks to the subtitles.

Looking at it all in this perspective I can't quite blame the ladies you mentioned.... We all have our weaknesses, haven't we?